Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Zealand

It has been forever since I have posted! I had been away for two weeks but its mostly cause I was laaaazzyyy!
New Zealand was amazing! I can't believe how fast it went by though. We did so much! The flight over was about 3 hours, and when we got there we got picked up by the car rental company and paid for the car and took off! It was a little scary driving on the other side of the road at first. Josh went into the wrong lane a few times... whooops. But he really got the hang of it and by the end of the trip was a pro. First off, the south island is basically deserted! The "main highway" most of the way there was like a back road. There was one section where we were driving for about 4-5 hours on a "main highway" and passed only about 15-20 cars the entire time! Most of the south island is exactly like the pictures: snowcapped mountain after mountain after sheep after intesnse forest after sheep after mountain after forest after huge river after sheep after snow capped mountain.... The scenerey was amazing. We did a lot of good hiking--about 3 days of all day hiking up some pretty intense trails. We went on a jet boat ride through this awesome canyon which was sooo fun. These are the best jet boat drivers in the world so they take you as close to the cliffs as possibile in order to freak you out. We went to these natrual hot springs which were sooo nice. It is still really cold down there even though it is coming up on summer because it is so close to antartica. But these springs are natrually heated and they basically feel like a hot bath. We pretty much stayed in there one full day!
NZ booze is much more like the US... they don't anally measure a shot into each drink! So finally we got some good strong drinks...
My favorite thing that we did was swimming with wild dolphins! They took us 45 minutes out to sea and then we went in the water to snorkle with them! It was FREAZING mind you, only about 12 degrees Celsius which is only about 52 degrees! We had full body suits on so that helped a bit but my hands and feet were frozen by the time I got out. The dolphins were amazing though. They are totally interested in you and swim all around you close enough to touch! I bought an underwater camera which worked really well so I have some awesome pictures. Basically it is a childhood dream come true so my life is pretty much complete...
Now that I am back at uni, its back to reality. I have a ton of work to do but only about 3 1/2 weeks to do it in! I only have 25 days left in Australia! I really can't believe it. Time goes by so fast it is crazy. I am really going to miss being here, but as much as I love it--its not home and I really miss all my friends and family! I am so excitied to come home and have thanksgiving and christmas with my family then get ready for my last semester!!!
I just decided I want to go to grad school for psychology. I have been thinking about it for a while and have figured out thats what I am going to go for. The whole reason why I liked my English and Comm classes were for the parts that explored peoples behavior/attitude/thoughts etc. I am actually really excited about my future for once instead of confused so I figure that is a pretty good sign. Unfortuantly that means loading up on a ton of psyc courses next semester and then taking some continuing courses during the summer after I graduate. Hopefully I can get started next fall though either part or full time. I am glad I have a plan now and am excitied.
In the meantime I am going to enjoy the rest of my time here, and I still have fiji to look forward to! This Saturday is the ERA ball which basically means drunkfest 08. Pretty stoked.
I'll try to put up some pics asap... I am just so lazy and I have sooo many. It is a daunting task right now....

No comments: